Football is a physical sport. It’s a type of game where players indulge in a lot of running, pushing and bumping. Football players have higher risk of pain and injury compared to other sports so it’s important that they use the maximum gear and equipment for their protection.
Why Should You Wear Football Gloves?
One of the most basic football gear necessities are gloves. The benefit of wearing gloves lies beyond protection. They have been used for football generations for a good reason.
Football gloves add protection on the field and enhance performance. They have technology that help promote a stronger grip that provides an edge whether you’re trying to gain leverage in the trenches or snag a ball out of the air.
They also add a layer of protection to guard against abrasions and cuts on the field. You can give your hardest performance in a high-impact game with a confidence that you are fully protected from pain and injury. The palm material can enhance grip and promote more sure-handed tackles, blocks and receptions.
Differences between Lineman and Receivers Football Gloves
Football gloves protect your hands and give you extra grip to control the ball; resulting to an improvement in your performance on the gridiron. Your needs on the field should determine these variables in choosing your gloves – grip, protection, flexibility, fit and weight.
Receivers Gloves – running backs and receivers need to have hold and control of the ball while remaining agile and light through traffic. Gloves designed for these players should have these features:
- Extended tack from the palm, around the fingers, and up the thumb
- Enhanced palm grip
- Lightweight, flexible construction
- Light padding on the back hand to protect from impact
Lineman Gloves – Gloves of linemen should be tough since they take the hardest hits on the field. They should be strong enough to protect the player’s hands and fingers from hyperextension, abrasion and damage. Most lineman gloves feature:
- Heavier, more durable materials than receiver gloves, to withstand more abuse
- Rigid frames and finger stays to prevent fingers from bending back when holding back the other line
- Improved palm and backhand padding, to protect from impacts
- Little to no tackiness in the palm
How to Find the Best Football Gloves?
Before you can find the best gloves for you, you must first understand what you are looking for in a glove. In choosing the type of gloves, you must take into consideration your age, skill set and position. Once you have a clear picture of what you’re looking for, the next thing that you should take into consideration is the kind that gives you the most of what you need within your budget.
Below is your reference to narrow down your list:
- Youth Football Gloves – Youth players in elementary or middle school, playing any position.
- Adult Lineman / Linebacker Football Gloves – High school age and older, playing in defensive positions on the line, such as linebacker or lineman
- Adult Skill Position Football Gloves – High school age and older, playing in skill positions such as running back, wide receiver, tight end, and quarterback
- Football Coaches Gloves – Coaches of any age and skill level looking for more warmth and comfort on the sidelines without sacrificing game days, during cold-weather practices and dexterity.
What type of grip does each football glove offer?
Different clothing manufacturers design their gloves with different styles and types of palm grip to give you extra control and tackiness of the ball. These various types of grips are almost exclusively designed for receiver glove and produce a slightly different performance depending on durability and conditions:
- Armour GrabTack – Designed by Under Armour, this type of gloves have palm material which is extended over the thumb for added ball control and extremely sticky grip.
- Cutters C-Tack – Exclusive to Cutters gloves and one of the most popular and long-lasting grip styles on the field, C-Tack provides permanent tacky grip that actually restores when you wash it.
- Adidas Seamless Double-Coated High-Gloss Silicone Palm – Found in Adidas football gloves, this palm material provides a solid grip that extends around the thumb.
- Neumann Tackified Leather Palm – Found in the classic Neumann receiver gloves, this basic leather palm has a tight fit that enables player to have a natural feel and grip on the ball.
Features to Look for in a Football Gloves
Since football gloves are a necessity, it’s important that you are choosing the best one that offers the maximum protection. Just as how you have a checklist when doing your grocery shopping, you should also create a checklist when you are shopping for the perfect football gloves. This checklist should have the qualities that you must look for in a good football gloves. Below are the features that you should keep an eye on before you head those gloves to the checkout counter:
- Padding – Lightweight, flexible foam padding in the backhand and palm are typical in advanced lineman gloves, and help soften impacts to protect the hand.
- Added Ventilation – Modern football gloves have ventilated backhands and utilize mesh between the fingers to improve air flow, dump hot air, and generally keep the hands cool, dry, and comfortable.
- Aggressive Style – The latest football gloves are coming out in aggressive and incredibly cool styles and colors, with interesting palm configurations. Style is very important because you feel good when you look good. A pair that combines style and function is a good deal.
- High Quality Materials – Great football should use materials that are of high-quality to withstand all weather conditions. They should be durable enough that you can use them seasons after seasons. . Look for stretchable, synthetic materials with seamless or reinforced seamed construction.
Advanced football gloves provide a variety of additional benefits and features to improve comfort, protect the hands and enhance performance.
Click here for more useful tips on how to choose the right football gears.